First Egg!



0 comments
I stayed up far too late last night watching a movie, so I had to kind of drag myself out to the barn this morning to feed and water the animals. As I was sleepwalking through my duties, not expecting any deviation from the daily routine, I stepped into the chicken coop and found this:

One of our girls had broken the ice and given us an egg! Our first! I woke up immediately, banished the rooster to the run and looked around the coop for any others that may have been left in odd spots (this one had been left right under the roost where they sleep). I didn't find any, but I praised the girls for a job well done - such good girls they are! To have given an egg, and not even twenty weeks old yet!

It just goes to show you, as I held the rather good sized egg in my hands and hurried to the house, that small moments can also make sweet memories. It is a delight to have labored over these birds, to have raised them from hatchlings, and to now see my care for them beginning to bear fruit. The satisfaction of having been (and continuing to be) connected to the process is undeniable. It is needful in some way, and too many human beings (or should I say Westerners?) have been missing moments like this one for far too long.

I thanked the Lord for the bounty of this one egg, and for the encouragement that I derived from this moment; life is not stagnant, events are unfolding, even though we cannot see what is happening behind the scenes.

It's very pretty, too, kind of a medium cream color (DH is holding it. Really, I don't have man hands).

Nice size, nice hard shell. I have no idea which one of the girls gave us the egg, but everyone gets a special treat (warm oatmeal mixed with applesauce, and yes, they love it) today!

Edited to add photos of the girls (and Stonewall) enjoying their warm oatmeal/applesauce treat this afternoon. Yum!


Well, I managed to add ONE photo. Why posting photos to this blog is so extraordinarily difficult is a mystery. I'll try to add the rest later.

Trying again:

Success! Yes, warm oatmeal certainly hits the spot.

Let's try another, shall we?

Wow. Two in a row.

And finally:

Delcie the Delaware expressing curiosity about DH's shredded work gloves. He has other sets, but seems inordinately attached to this pair.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

newer post older post