Old Doors



6 comments
This week has been, in a word, discouraging.

However, we did finally make it to the sawmill and discovered that a truck bed full of sawdust for the stalls is only $8 (and we don't even have to load it).

And...I scored BIG last night at an architectural salvage yard where I found the doors pictured above - solid wood, both pieces (four panels) for a grand total of $14. I had actually gone in search of loose table legs (I was recently given an antique solid wood exterior door, perfect to make into a new dining room table - but it needs legs). Table legs of the appropriate style and size were in short supply, but lo, I turned the corner and found these cool doors...and what a deal!

I am thinking about sanding them to a silky smooth finish, applying some really interesting (possibly ethnic) designs, and using aniline dyes to add some subtle color...the usual sand-stain-and-polyurethane doesn't seem to be...well, the right approach.

Add hand-forged hinges and latches, and voila! instant room divider or large window privacy screen.

What do you think? Good plan?

6 comments:

Char at: November 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM said...

Wut kind of ethnic designs??

I would keep the colours monochromatic myself.
make sure you use something that will work on wood (usually procions but you can use other things). You can do a tannin treatment on them if you want (like a walnut or tea "dye") or stencil lightly in oils.

Holly at: November 28, 2011 at 8:09 PM said...

Celtic knot work, or something similarly complex and labor-intensive...maybe organic or layered designs. At least those are my thoughts so far. As for color, yes, very muted, just a hint, as though it almost isn't there.

Char at: November 28, 2011 at 8:47 PM said...

I see your comment!

Viking schtuff (urnes is the best for wood design)? Mayan? Mayan stele designs are nice. I'll send you pics of my blocks.

Char at: November 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM said...

http://images.travelpod.com/users/colldavesophevi/1.1285180208.carvings-on-side-of-urnes-church.jpg

see wut I'm sayin?

Char at: November 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM said...

Also if anyone else is having problems commenting: You have to set your browser to allow third party cookies. Even if you have already set it you might have to unclick and click again (I had to).

Holly at: November 29, 2011 at 1:18 AM said...

Definitely like Urnes style...

And love the Mayan designs! Did you make those?

Post a Comment

newer post older post