New Life



0 comments
Look at these little beauties! I started several kinds of broccoli, cauliflower and eggplant on February 26 in the deep, dark, rich soil from the compost heap to which my chickens have been making regular "contributions" since last September - and already these tender little shoots are growing up to turn their faces to the sun. The seeds from whence they have sprouted are so tiny - but all that is needed for them to flourish and thrive (and reproduce after their kind) is contained in that wee package.

Sowing. An act as old as humankind. No wonder it stirs something in our blood.


The fig tree has really taken off. (See my pet spider in the window? OK, she's not really a pet. She's a web-sitter and has managed to make a very good living in a high window where no one, except for me, is really aware of her presence. I sometimes sit and watch her as she quietly goes about the business of being a spider - fascinating in itself. She doesn't bother anyone.)

I'll start my tomatoes this afternoon. I'm sure by the time all the vegetables that need an indoor start are sown, every shelf and windowsill will hold a flat or two. Maybe next year I'll have devised a more systematic approach to getting the garden underway, but this seems to be working for now.

Besides, I may put the seeds into the ground, but it is God who blesses them to cause them to grow, and who gives the increase in this as in every endeavor of life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

newer post older post