Long Nights



3 comments
I snapped this photo through the bamboo, toward the great fir and pine trees that are only a stone's throw from our house. The days are short now - which makes it seem as though I am constantly in the barn, trying to stay ahead of nightfall. The lack of sunshine has always been problematic for me; although I am not one to sleep for long stretches at a time, once winter rolls around I find I wish I was of a species that could hibernate. I would love nothing better than to roll up in a couple of warm quilts and emerge when the outlook is brighter, warmer and sunnier (although it was very warm today - a rainy 58F). Like the bears who have probably taken to their dens for the season, I like the idea of finding a place to hunker down while the snow piles up outside.

Meh.

I'm off to make a pot of the best lentil soup you'll ever hope to taste. I may also put some of my sprouted grain flour to good use and bake a couple of types of bread. I do need to start a sourdough and keep it going so we have some really good stuff to nibble on through the cold months.

Hint to DH: I am hoping to score a hand-operated grain mill *cough* soon. Or a food dehydrator. Or both.

It also is nearly time to order seed catalogues. Anyone else planning on growing Heirloom or Heritage vegetables? Saving seed?

3 comments:

Unknown at: December 15, 2011 at 6:15 PM said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Holly at: December 17, 2011 at 12:26 AM said...

Thanks!

Char at: December 22, 2011 at 3:52 PM said...

pokepoke where you been?

Post a Comment

newer post older post