A Little Late To The Ball



0 comments
However, we pulled it off. Everyone at the farm, human and animal alike, had a nice Christmas, although the entire event came down to the wire and ended up being somewhat hastily assembled at nearly the last minute. I attribute this to utter exhaustion on our part and a sort of bleary-eyed surprise at how quickly the Christmas season overtook us yet again. It seems as though I JUST took down last year's tree, packed away the decorations and vacuumed up the last of the pine needles, went to sleep, woke up and had to drag everything out again.

It is perhaps telling that DH and I abandoned our annual dialogue about whether bulbous multicolored lights or tiny, sparkling white lights should adorn the tree (DH, paying tribute to his childhood memories, advocates for the former; I tend to want the tree to reflect our own taste; white lights, glass ornaments, careful touches of color, ribbons, etc.). No one cared this year - as long as the tree was placed upright in the stand and arranged in a somewhat pleasing fashion.

I was also too tired to suggest, as I do each year, that rather than cut one down, we simply go buy an artificial tree (an idea that DH has steadfastly resisted lo, these nearly ten years of marriage). DH, on the other hand, was happy with the first tree he encountered - a rather slender, slightly sparse 6 ft. pine that would have been scorned in other, less frenetic years.

Hah, no, this wasn't it. Cute, though, eh? Our own Charlie Brown Christmas tree, compliments of my BIL, who bought it for us last year. I love it. Too adorable.

We had a lovely dinner, which took the greater part of two days to prepare (including the baking, which is done ahead of time). We actually celebrated on Christmas Eve, which was when family members could make it here to be with us. Once everyone had departed, and the animals were snuggled away for the night, I pulled out my big fluffy comforter, claimed the couch and watched the 1951 film adaptation of A Christmas Carol with DH. And then drifted off to sleep.

Although my posts would seem to indicate otherwise, I have been productive in my studio. I just have to brave the (now-cold) weather, drag everything outside, keep it from blowing away and try to snap a few photos.

Soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

newer post older post