Photo of Second Chick



0 comments
The second baby chick has more buff patches on her face. The father is our alpha rooster, but I wish I really knew what the crosses are - but the broody "chose" her eggs, so I kind of went along with it. The babies appear to be from either Australorp or Wyandotte eggs. Since we have gone down this path, I would have liked a Buff crossed with our rooster; I think that cross would have been pretty, but genetics, especially when one is trying for color, is a tricky business.

That they are crosses is probably a good thing; hybrid vigor and all that.

Mama and baby this morning (the other chick was hiding):


The third egg has not hatched. I don't think she'll give it much longer, maybe another 24 hours or so.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

newer post older post